Thursday, August 6, 2020

Are you good at saving money?

Get Wise: ASB

Thank you to Jeff from Get Wise: ASB who taught us some very valuable skills about our finances.

ASB = Auckland Savings Bank

INCOME - EXPENSES = SAVING

Income = money from jobs / chores / selling, money coming in, regular money
Expenses = spending money, food/transport, regular spending (bills)
Saving = money not used in expenses

GWYWP = Get What You Want Plan

The children were split up into teams and were given $1,800 to spend on a holiday to Fiji (wouldn't that be fabulous holiday to look forward to right now?) 1 week in Fiji over Christmas.
The children looked at
  • Passport: prices and the organisation of passports
  • Flights: economy vs business
  • Stay: hotels vs resorts vs motels
  • Insurance: what if somethings happens, costs behind them
  • Exchange rates: flat rates and looking for good deals

Word Bank
Budget / Saving / Skill / Good with Money / Income / Expenses / Buying / Selling / Loans / Jobs / EFTPOS cards / Credit cards / Choices / Flat Rate / Exchange rates

Comments from the children:
  • Budget where you can
  • Spend your money wisely
  • Looking at different expenses and whether you NEED them or WANT them
  • It's not fun being an adult!!
  • Saving for things that you really want
  • Looking at getting a job to earn money.


2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Miss McCombie,
    I love the amount of information you've put into your blurb as it gave me a very clear idea about what it was about.
    I think the income-expense=saving equation is a really helpful thing to keep in mind.
    What did you enjoy most about that session?
    Have a good day
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talofa Lava Miss McCombie, Thanks for posting this on your blog this was almost my favorite thing we have done at school.
    My Favorite thing we done was the trip to Rarotonga or wherever it was when we done the saving with the plane and room and stuff.
    This reminded me of when I went to Australia last year and got $100 to spend and had to be careful what I spent it on.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post